The Medic Course is a nine day training event that concentrates on the development of the Ground Team Medic. The Medic Course is a mentally, physically, and academically challenging course. Students will participate in numerous classes, rigorous physical fitness sessions, hands-on scenarios, and academic tests. The Team Medic is responsible for observing the general well-being of the ground team as well as keeping an eye out for specific health concerns that may arise while participating in missions. Students will be provided with knowledge pertaining to the role and responsibilities of a team medic as well as the knowledge base required to perform their duties.
The 2015 Search and Rescue Academy Medic Course will be offering the following certifications for students meeting the individual certification criteria: Wilderness and Remote First Aid, CPR, and Basic Life Support. Certifying organizations include the American Heart Association (AHA) and American Safety and Health Institute (ASHI).
In addition to the AHA/ASHI Certifications listed above, students will be given general knowledge and understanding in the following areas; basic anatomy and physiology, basic medical terminology, basic assessment skills, basic spine stabilization, evaluation and care of a ground team, introduction to critical incident stress management, and so much more!
In order to be eligible to apply for the 2016 Medic Course, all students must meet the following criteria:
• Must have completed SAR Academy Basic Course or Equivalent
• Earned the Wright Brothers Award
• Be 15 years old or older
• Current CAP membership
• Current First Aid / CPR card
• Complete the required CAPF 31 (with proper signatures-unit cc and parents)
• Must be in Physical Category 1 previous to and throughout the duration of the Academy (CAP Physical Categories are described in CAPP 52-18)
• Must be safety compliant
• Current 101 Emergency Services Card with at least GTM3 Level qualified
• All CAP Health forms (160, 161, 163)
• Express their desire to attend the course and rationale behind it in the form of a letter of intent to the Medic Course Commander.
Suggested, but not required, before attendance:
• CPR (Layperson) for Adult, Child, and Infant current certification or familiarization
• Ground Team Member Level 2 qualified
• Completion of the Advanced Course at a previous MIWG SAR Academy
• Ability to complete the PAST (Physical Ability and Stamina Test)
• Basic water abilities (swimming, treading water).
COST AND FOOD OPTIONS
Option A $95.00
What is included in the cost: AHA BLS Card, ASHI Card, and ASHI Student Manual. For those who graduate, you will also receive a t- shirt, SAR Academy patch, SAR Academy decal, and a metal GTM Badge.
The student will be responsible for ALL meals and snacks.
Option B $155.00
What is included in the cost: 12 MRE meals, AHA BLS Card, ASHI Card, and ASHI Student Manual. For those who graduate, you will also receive a t-shirt, SAR Academy patch, SAR Academy decal, and a metal GTM Badge.
The student will be responsible for 11 meals and snacks.
Option C $215.00
What is included in the cost:24 MRE meals, AHA BLS Card, ASHI Card, and ASHI Student Manual. For those who graduate, you will also receive a t-shirt, SAR Academy patch, SAR Academy decal, and a metal GTM Badge.
The student will ONLY be responsible for snacks.
Wilderness and Remote First Aid
Wilderness environments create special situations not usually encountered in an urban or suburban environment. Learn preparation and assessment, preventing and caring for injuries, environmental hazards, & medical emergencies.
It is my duty as a Medic to save lives and aid the injured. I will be prepared at all times to perform my assigned duties quickly and efficiently, placing these duties before my personal desires and comforts. These things I do, so others may live.
Basic Life Support
Basic Life Support training reinforces understanding of the importance of early CPR and defibrillation, basic steps of performing CPR, relieving choking, and using an AED; and the role of each link in the Chain of Survival.